Thursday, June 19, 2014

Losing the Baby-Weight

Let me say, I had the hardest time losing weight after my children were born.  I gained 60 pounds while I was pregnant with both of my kids!  When my first child was born, it was somewhat easier.  I nursed and had plenty of opportunities to take her out for walks.  Two years later, though, after my son was born losing weight became more difficult.  I don't know if it was because I was older, tired or just plain too busy to exercise but the weight stayed on!  A 60lb. weight gain is significant!  I went up 3 dress sizes!

As time went on, I tried everything.  I tried the South Beach Diet, the Zone diet; basically any diet you can think of.  Nothing worked!  Then, I paired dieting with exercise and that didn't work either.  I'd lose weight for a week or two and then gain it back.  I began exercising so much that I injured myself.  Apparently, 5 intense workouts a week was a little too much for me!  I had back problems, knee problems, plus foot and shoulder injuries before I finally stopped.

Then I watched Hungry for Change.  If you haven't seen this documentary yet, I would highly recommend it!  This movie changed my life because it made me think about the way I was eating.



             http://www.hungryforchange.tv/


Instead of "dieting" it talks about focusing on filling your body with good food such as Kale, Spinach, Cilantro, Flax Seeds and Cia Seeds, etc.   "If something has a longer shelf life than you" they say "don't eat it!"  They also promote juicing as a way of giving your body what it needs. When your body gets what it needs, it stops being hungry.  I was ALWAYS hungry and I had low blood sugar issues.  I couldn't get through one day without feeling faint.

So I substituted my regular breakfast of Scrambled Eggs and Toast for a Yogurt Parfait topped with Chia Seeds or a Breakfast Smoothie with Yogurt, Bananas and Spinach.  For snacks I ate Kale Chips or Roasted Chick Peas rather than Cheese, Crackers and Fruit.  Also, I started eating 5 small meals a day, substituting one meal (usually lunch) for fresh vegetable juice. 

The weight literally melted off!  This was even without regular exercise since during the first two months; I was nursing a knee injury.  That was a year ago and I haven't gained the weight back! Now, I am currently a size 4, I don't have any low blood sugar issues and I feel amazing!  Hungry for Change helped me realize that I wasn't eating right.  Check it out!

Copyright by Michelle Fiore

No comments:

Post a Comment